Reviews and Ratings for solicitor Elissa Thursfield, Llandudno

Tuesday 20 June 2017

Hay Fever Havoc


When the idea for this blog post came to me, it struck me how very British my line of thinking was. We complain about the weather for roughly 11.5 months of the year, because of the cold, the wind and the incessant rain. Finally, we are granted a couple of days of sunshine and  we are still not happy with our weather, the Internet being flooded with memes demonstrating how us Brits are totally unequipped and unwilling to suffer any mildly hot weather.


Those who can cope emigrated to the Middle East, Oz and California many years ago.
 

So, putting solidly British suggestions to one side (undergarments in the freezer, feet in cold water and rushing out to buy fans), the warm weather can present problems for businesses, when the pollen is high, hay fever sufferers can be heard for miles.

 
Sniffing, coughing and generally gasping for air in the office, or an increase in sick days, it can be a nightmare for employers. Sick days currently cost businesses roughly £554 per employee per year. For a business with a 250 headcount that is over £135,000 per year.


My desk is currently overflowing with every remedy I can possibly get my hands on, having been hit particularly hard over the last couple of days, I have even found myself praying for rain (very British). At least the rain would give me something to complain about other than my pounding head, streaming eyes, scratchy throat and constant cough and sneezing fits. I know for a fact I am irritating my colleague in the next office beyond belief.
 

So what is an employer to do? Hay fever is unlikely to meet the criteria for being a disability, so there would be no obligation for reasonably adjustments.

 

Is it an easy get out for employees for when the sun comes out, if hay fever becomes an easy way to have a day off? All the usual absence management policies can come into play here, discretionary company sick pay and waiting days are all useful tools. On a human level, given the severity some people suffer with the ailment, some sort of flexibility or sympathy would go a long way for employee relations. There are issues with many of the medications causing drowsiness and general low productivity levels when someone is feeling quite so poorly.


In terms of my presentation for work, my ability to wear make-up has been completely eradicated and I generally look as though I have been crying for a fortnight. Not a great look when clients are likely to visibly recoil at the sight of my streaming eyes and reach for the antibacterial hand wash after a handshake.


I am however still generally capable of wearing high heels, thank goodness (apologies Lawyer Joke! http://gamlinsemploymentlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/high-heel-gate.html  )

No comments:

Post a Comment